Dear Reader, Miss Footloose is very sad! Some of the links below are no longer live. The fabulous writers of these fun stories have departed the Blogosphere and found adventures elsewhere. However, there’s till fun stuff to read!
If you have fun expat stories, please send me a link and I will create a new list.
All expats are familiar with the dramas and upheavals of a move across continents and the subsequent efforts to set up house in a foreign country where you don’t know the language and even the simple task of finding a carton of plain, unflavored yogurt can be struggle. Although I have now managed to figure out what a container of unadulterated yogurt looks like in Moldova where my prince and I have recently parked ourselves, I will not yet
entertain bore you with the other details of my life here.
Instead, I’ve gathered here for your enjoyment a colorful collection of hilarious or humorous stories posted by other expat bloggers. I hereby thank these writers for entertaining me. The stories take place all over the world: in Finland, Cuba, Spain, Vietnam, Mauritania, Ghana, Iraq, Turkey and even in the Amazon jungle of Venezuela. Enjoy!
Photo © Ken Duffy | used by permission
Here they are in random order:
1) Here is Havana is the blog of American travel writer and expat Conner who lives in Cuba with her Cuban husband where they struggle to keep their marriage alive on a mattress from hell. A CUBAN BED TIME STORY. No, it’s not a fairy tale.
2) Who’d think that exercising at the gym can be such fun? Really, just go to Mauritania with this American expat who blogs at Planet Nomad. Sadly the link to the story Sweating it Out in Mauritania is no longer exercising.
4) Canadian Carolyn used to live and work in the Kurdish area of Iraq. Here’s one of her tales. Even scary stuff can be funny if you know how to write: GUNNING FOR IRAQ
5) When this British expat in Spain gets Very Bored in Catalunya she meditates creatively on trimming the topiary “down there.” THE CHANGING TIMES OF PERSONAL GROOMING (down there…) Sadly she’s changed her mind about sharing this funny story.
6) Canadian expat of Holli’s Ramblings no longer rambles here.
8) American Jungle Mom no longer lives in the jungle, I think…
American (Canadian?) Australian expat lives in Vietnam with her Vietnamese husband and is the blogger of The Drop Out Diaries. She finds that the English language can be very confusing for her dear husband as you can read in her story TESTICLE FACE.
10) And to round it all off, a video: American travel writer Carole Terwilliger Meyers blogs at Travels with Carol and no longer offers us a funny video starring Tim Conway, Harvey Korman, and Carol Burnett . . . .
* * *
Did you enjoy these stories? And if you know of other humorous or hilarious tales, please send the links!